This is the most widely taken programme in which students must take at least five subjects, including Irish (with the exception of those with a previous exemption). Those intending to pursue higher education at a third-level institute normally take this examination and access to third-level courses depends on results obtained.
The Leaving Certificate subjects offered are:
- Core Subjects – these subjects are taken by all students
- Option Subjects – each student takes four option subjects
- Home Economics
- Construction Studies
- Design and Communication Graphics
- Other Subjects – each student also takes the following subjects
- Career Guidance
- Computer Studies
- Physical Education
Those students proceeding to Leaving Certificate are required to indicate their subject preferences on a form which is then returned to the school.
- Higher and Ordinary levels will be provided in all subjects.
- All subjects selected must normally have been taken at Junior Certificate level. Exceptions may be made to this ruling with the approval of the school authorities.
- Students aspiring to take Higher level in any subject should normally be expected to achieve at least a Grade C at Higher level in the Junior Certificate Examinations in that subject.